maandag 29 november 2021

My heart leaps up when I behold - William Wordsworth, 1802

Afbeelding van DEZE SITE.


'My heart leaps up when I behold'

My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky
So was it when my life began
So is it now I am a Man
So be it when I shall grow old
Or let me die!
The Child is father of the Man
And I could wish my days to be
Bound each to each by natural piety.


In Ode, Intimations of Immortality from recollections of early childhood, dicht Wordsworth de volgende regels, die verduidelijken wat hij bedoelt met The Child is father of the Man
(Mijn parafrase:)
In de kindertijd zijn we het dichtst verbonden met de natuur, lees: met God. In die zin is het kind wijzer dan de volwassene die uit hem groeit:

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home.
Heaven lies about in our infancy!
William Wordsworth, 1770-1850
Wordsworth stelde zijn hoop op de Franse Revolutie, maar kwam daarvan terug. Hij was een vernieuwer in de zin van autobiografisch zelf-onderzoek. 
De laatste vijftig jaar van zijn leven was hij minder interessant. Zie de biografie Radical Wordworth, Jonathan Bate, 2020.
Uit een review van de Times: 
William Wordsworth wrote the first great poetic autobiography. We owe to him the idea that places of outstanding natural beauty should become what he called ‘a sort of national property’. He changed forever the way we think about childhood, about the sense of the self, about our connection to the natural environment, and about the purpose of poetry.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten